This crockpot turkey chili is the answer to all of our problems. Well, maybe not all of our problems, but it is certainly the answer to what are we going to cook for dinner?
I don’t know about you, but I’ve got a tribe of tiny people who have very particular ideas about food.
- One is sensitive to dairy.
- One only eats things smothered in cheese.
- And, one is starving the second he walks through the door.
(that last one is not so tiny – it’s my husband)
So, having a dinner that can adapt with all of my family’s needs is important. Plus, I get “hangry” (hungry/angry) at approximately 5:11pm every day, so crockpot recipes are a must in this house.
Oh, and the fun part?
You have my full permission to smother this chili in Fritos and cheese.
Go ahead. Sneak a few Fritos while the kids aren’t looking.
There’s no judgement here.
I’m totally doing it too… *crunch*
I’ve got to be honest.
I can’t take the credit for this yummy meal…
I got this recipe from my sister-in-law who adapted this recipe from All recipes.com. She tweaked it and made it crockpot friendly (thank you, Cari!).
Best of all?
She said that I can share it with you.
Just dump, cook, and eat.
That certainly didn’t sound appealing. But, I promise – this chili still tastes good!!
((don’t be worried))
This recipe is…
Gluten-free (even with the Fritos)
Dairy-free if you omit the cheese & sour cream toppings
Clean eating approved if you don’t use the toppings (avocado is okay on top instead)
Ingredients for Crockpot Turkey Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (7 ounce) can salsa
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, or coarsely chopped tomatoes packed in puree
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
Toppings – optional:
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Avocado – if you’re eating clean, just add avocado instead of the other toppings
How to Make Crockpot Turkey Chili
- Brown the meat and add in the taco seasoning
- While it’s browning, dice the 3 zucchini, 1 onion, and 1 bell pepper
- Dump all the other ingredients into the crockpot
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3 hours
How to Freeze this Crockpot Chili
Add all the ingredients to a freezer safe bag excluding the can of beef broth. When you’re ready to cook, just dump the ingredients into the crockpot, add the can of beef broth, and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
More Dinner Tips from Happily Ever Mom