My baby loves everything that rolls.
He has always been drawn to cars and, now, he loves all different types of balls. He also loves plastic eggs, so we made an egg drop game for him which he adores. Since he’s walking, I created a DIY ball drop that has become one our favorite activities for baby.
This couldn’t be easier to make and my preschooler loved it, too!
Do you know the one’s I’m talking about? The colorful ones that suck you down like quicksand if you stand in them?! Not only am I terrified of those balls, but they’re also expensive, so I rely on the dollar store ping pong balls to entertain my little one. They work great and they are super affordable (6 for $1)!
Materials for the Ball Drop
- Toilet Paper Rolls
- Empty Water Bottle/Container
- Train Tunnel (or anything you have)
- Ping Pong Balls
- Packing Tape
- Cut all of your materials: cut the top/bottom off of the water bottle and tape the edges since they are jagged, cut open the toilet paper roll with a vertical cut and open it about an inch so that a ball can pass through while taping it.
- Attach your tunnels to the cardboard with packing tape (make sure it’s secure, my baby tried ripping these off)
- Put out balls and a container at the bottom of the tunnels
- Show baby how to play!
She helped me figure out if each tunnel was working. We had to adjust some of the tape that was blocking the tunnel (great problem solving opportunity for an older sibling!).
Then, she dropped down several of the plastic eggs we had around the house. She loved it, too!
Hop on over to our Facebook page to see what we are up to and share what you are doing in your house!
More Baby Activities
- Simple baby game from Kids Activities Blog
- DIY Touch and Feel Board
- Disappearing Act from Laughing Kids Learn
- Simple Baby Activities from Toddler Approved
- Exploring Sounds with Baby
- Sticky Clouds in the Window