As a busy Mom of two little ones, I’ve wasted a lot of money on gym memberships.
Only to realize that my kids hated the childcare that the gym offered or I never got there because it was twenty minutes away (which really turns into forty-five minutes with loading and unloading kids). So, I did a lot of research and realized that working out at home was my best option.
Here at Happily Ever Mom, we love anything that supports moms working out at home, so we’re sharing our favorite essentials for any Mom out there…
This post contains affiliate links ~ you can read my disclosure here 🙂
I remember doing workout videos at home when they first started being a “thing.”
Some were boring, some were decent, and some were just down right funny to watch. In recent years, I’ve found that workout DVD’s can be really fun and an amazing workout, but you need to know where to look…
First and foremost, we have to start with a great exercise program. If you really want workout DVDs at home that doesn’t waste your time, keeps you entertained, AND delivers results, you’ve got to check out Beach Body.
My favorite exercise packages are PiYo (a blend of pilates and yoga that really challenge your core, balance, and strength) and Cize (which gets you dancing in your living room while you sweat). But, there are tons of other programs to choose from too!
I have also relied on (and loved!) these DVDs at home:
- Stott Pilates – core workout
- Lindsey Brin’s workouts for pregnant and postpartum moms *these are great!
- Everyone has to have a favorite tee shirt and I’m all in on the racerback craze. I love these simple tanks from Epic MMA Gear. The color options are so fun!
- Or, get this super cute shirt that says, “Mom Strong“. Because we really are stronger as Moms, right?!
- I’ve love my black Nike yoga pants that I bought years ago. They are similar to this style on Amazon and they have been worth every penny. From running, to lifting kids, to actually doing yoga, they have been my favorite style throughout all my years of Motherhood.
- If there is one thing you really need to consider, it’s investing in a supportive sports bra. I love the adorable designs that they have for sports bras and, if you can wear those, I say go for it! But, if you need extra support like I do, Glamorize is a great place to start looking for a bra. Especially if you’re going to do medium to high impact workouts, you’ll want something that actually works to keep everything in place (are you feeling me?). If you’ve never had a truly supportive sports bra, it is LIFE CHANGING. I love this version of Glamorize because it offers lots of extra support, but it still looks natural and has a traditional fit.
- Once you’ve got you’re clothes ready to go, don’t forget about your feet! My dear friend, Kirsti from Clark Strong, swears by her Nike Free Running Shoes. The pink and black are too cute, too…
- Ever since my daughter was born, we have held onto our BOB jogging stroller. It’s gone to Disneyland, jogged many a trails, and even come on an airplane with us (when these were allowed to be checked. You’re not allowed to check large jogging strollers anymore!). My first reaction to this stroller was that it was like pushing a cloud, and with the safety strap, it’s a must have for any Mom who wants to walk or run with little ones. I highly recommend getting the moveable front wheel that also locks ~ worth every penny.
- Psst…we got the double BOB when we had our second and loved it just as much!
- Stay hydrated with these Ello Bottles. I love mine because they are thin and fit into any tiny spot that I need them too. I like that they are glass because I often infuse my water with essential oils and you can’t do that with plastic bottles.
- While it’s important for Moms to hydrate, but it’s also important to have water on hand for your kids. We love Camelbak Kids! We have two for each child and replacement valves just in case (my kids love to chew the tops). Every day we fill these water bottles up and it’s easy to remember who’s water bottle is who’s because each child has their own design ~ easy peasy!
- Love listening to music? I have to have a great armband to hold my iPhone while I workout. Whether you’re walking around the block or going the distance, this pink armband would look great on any Mom!
- As busy Moms, the fit bit comes to our rescue so that we really know how much we are walking throughout the day. Sometimes, I stand at the kitchen sink for far longer than I would like to admit, while other days I’m literally chasing my kids everywhere and get a ton of steps in. The fit bit can help you track your days so you know when to get in that extra walk after dinner!
- Or, grab this heart rate monitor to keep your heart rate in your target zone as you workout AND count calorie burn | Suggested by Jeanine from Fit4Family
- I wish I had invested in this great hand weight set early on. The colors are darling and the weights are the perfect size. Lifting light weights is an easy way to get stronger without bulking up!
And, don’t forget about all the exercise gear like bands, medicine balls, and yoga mats. You can find all my favorites here.
All of these make amazing gifts to give to others OR to yourself.
Remember, you’re little ones are always watching you. Give them the gift of learning to take care of their bodies by taking care of yours!
More for Moms from Happily Ever Mom