We partnered with Rodale Books (a Happily Ever Mom sponsor) to bring you a special giveaway at the end of the post. We received a free copy of “Yeah, Baby!” that’s in the prize package below!
My newborn baby was plopped on my chest just after delivery. While I was screaming, “My baby! My baby!” my daughter starting rooting – a sign that she was ready to nurse.
I remember yelling: “She wants to nurse!” But, nursing didn’t come easily…
During those first few weeks of desperately trying to nurse my baby and pumping along the way, I learned about these new Mom must-haves through friends who were struggling with breastfeeding too.
Note: I’m particularly grateful to have learned about #8 because my nipples blistered so badly. That little gem was the only thing that gave me any pain relief!
Others items on the list are ones that I discovered on my own.
My hope is that you’re not struggling with breastfeeding like I did; regardless, this list of Must-Haves is essential for any new Mom.
Psst…scroll to the end to enter in our Giveaway!
What Every Mom Needs on Hand When Nursing a Baby…
Give these as a gift, buy it for yourself, or send this list to another Mom you know.
Every Mom deserves to know about how to find relief during those first few weeks of nursing a baby!
15+ Must-Haves for Nursing Moms
- Breastfriend – My favorite nursing pillow. It’s firm to hold baby up, offers back support for Mom, and snaps in place so that the pillow doesn’t slide while baby is lying on top.
- Breast pump – This is the one that I used while exclusively pumping my first baby. It held up for a year while I worked full time and pumped twice a day at work. Highly recommend!
- Larger Flange – With a breastpump, you may need attachments that are larger or smaller than what is sold with the breastpump. If pumping hurts, check and see if you need to change the size of your flange!
- Breast like bottle – Even if you want to nurse exclusively, having a bottle on hand is a lifesaver. For medications or letting someone bottlefeed for one feeding, I highly recommend a bottle that is the most similar to nursing.
- Breast pads – You need these. You will leak as a first time mom. I had to double up on breast pads at night and during the day!
- Wine strips – This is a fun gift, but also great for Moms who would like to have a small glass of wine at night and not worry about nursing baby afterwards.
- Boob tube – If you have any clogged ducts or mastitis, you need these! It helps relieve pain and increase milk flow (which will help reduce clogged ducts and mastitis).
- Gel pads – Every should buy these!! They are the most relief that I’ve ever found for sore nipples, blistered nipples, or any discomfort after nursing. Put them on and breath a sigh of relief!
- Nipple Shield – Use if you have blistering or cracks while nursing so that your nipple has a chance to heal and you can still nurse your baby.
- Nipple Soft Shell – These are great to use when you need to where clothing, but your nipples are sore from nursing. They let your nipples “breathe” and heal even while wearing a bra or tank top.
- Nursing Bra – I love that this is a 2 pack. You’ve got to invest in good bras. Remember, nursing normally lasts a year or beyond, so it’s important to have good bras on hand!
- Sleep nursing bra – Unlike #11, these bras are meant to be warn while you sleep. They’re easy to slide of for night nursing, but help to give the support that your breasts will need.
- Stool – I didn’t think this was important AT ALL! I mean, a stool? But successful nursing is all about getting yourself and your baby in the right position. You’re knees need to be elevated much higher in order for you to sit back while nursing. Ever seen a mom nursing hunched over her baby? Yah. She didn’t think a stool was important either…
- Grab a free nursing cover – you’ll need one. With our code HappilyEver4, you’ll get a free Udder Cover sent to your door!
- Coconut oil with lavender oil – I mix some coconut oil with a drop or two of lavender essential oil to make my own nipple cream. I never found a store bought brand that felt better than my gel pads (see #8), so this was the best option for me.
But, that’s not all…
We have a GIVEAWAY for Jillian Michaels book, YEAH, BABY!
Get tips on a happy, healthy pregnancy!
One (1) winner receives:
- Copy of Yeah Baby!
- And a HotMilk nursing yoga bra.
Giveaway open to US addresses only.
Prizing and samples provided by Rodale Books.
How to Enter the Giveaway:
Learn more about the book at the Official Site.
More About the Book
You know Jillian Michaels as the world’s leading fitness expert and a renowned nutritionist; but she’s also a proud mother of two. In Yeah Baby!, Jillian, along with her team of top-notch experts, will change everything you think you know about pregnancy, arming you with the most cutting-edge information available, so you can make the right choices for you and your little one. They will help you navigate the hidden dangers in your immediate environment; understand the check-ups, tests, and treatments your doctor recommends; and provide powerful solutions for all your issues, from heartburn and swollen feet to more serious medical concerns. Also learn how to optimize every facet of your child’s development, from IQ and long-term earning potential to future level of physical fitness and even taste preferences! Yeah Baby! also features a complete meal plan with delicious, nutrition-packed recipes, and a one-of-a-kind, trimester-specific fitness program, to ensure you bounce back stronger and better than ever.
Expert Dream Team:
- Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz, MD is an Ob-Gyn, a Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist, and board certified in Integrative and Holistic Medicine.
- Andrea Orbeck is a PregnancyFitness Specialist who holds an advanced degree in Kinesiology and Intracellular Physiology.
- Katja VanHerle, MD is one of America’s Top Physicians in Endocrinology as named by Consumer Research Council of America.
- Cheryl Forberg, RD is an award-winning registered dietitian, chef, and New York Times bestselling author.
- Jay Gordon, MD, FAAP is a pediatrician who specializes in infant nutrition and breastfeeding.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JILLIAN MICHAELS is a celebrity fitness trainer, author, and television personality known for her appearances on NBC’s The Biggest Loser and Losing It With Jillian, and as the host of Sweat, Inc. on Spike. Her New York Times bestselling books include Unlimited, Master Your Metabolism, The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook, and Making the Cut. She has two children with her partner Heidi Rhoades, a son, Phoenix, and daughter, Lukensia. She lives in Los Angeles, CA.